Monday, January 12, 2009

my own space

So I'm sitting here in my apartment looking out over the rooftops at the mountains covered in snow and I'm content. It's been a crazy few days of packing, loading, driving, sleeping, driving, unloading and unpacking... and there's still more to be done. I could not have done any of this without my parents who continuously show me love, grace, and what taking care of someone means. They are incredible people and I appreciate them more than they know. They left yesterday and Elizabeth left a few minutes ago. I'm actually here. I live in Littleton now.

Yesterday Elizabeth and I went driving around the city to take it all in. We found the Columbine Memorial and I was once again reminded of why I'm going back to school to learn how to take care of people. There has been so much hurt in this community and that's just a fraction of what the world has felt. Elizabeth and I recalled all the major catastrophic events that have happened in our lifetime: Oklahoma City bombing, Columbine, 9/11, the tsunami, Katrina, Virginia Tech. And the question is begged, have we learned anything? When major events like these happened, we all come together with support and love. Then when things settle down we go back to bickering and division, forgetting that there is a bigger picture. We all get so self-involved that we become blind to what really matters.

I have two weeks til classes start. My dad told me I should use this time to relax and rest. For some many of us 2008 was a hard year. I'm looking forward to reflecting on all that has happened: graduation from college, relationships and friendships changing, grandad's death, struggling with faith, priorities changing. I don't take Sabbath very well. It's hard to slow down and just trust God. I'm going to try and take a weekly Sabbath this next year. It's important and I want to follow through with it, so if you want to encourage me in that, I would appreciate it.

Well, I'm off to go relax and I would love to hear from you. And if you're ever in the area, you have a place to crash... and a guaranteed skiing buddy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment